Join Shepherd Entertainment on a tour through New York's harbor to the Statue of Liberty.
Tags:The Statue of Liberty in New York City,New York travel attractions,new york travel guide,New York travel information,new york travel tips,shepherd entertainment,Visit the Statue of Liberty in New York City,world travel,shepherdfilm
Grab video code:
Visit the Statue of Liberty in New York City
The helicopter tour is a great adventure in New York. We can see even the Empire State Building from above and the streets of Manhattan, the East River, the Hudson River, and the islands seem like a map below us.
Battery Park is the green area of Manhattan’s southern corner. In the Dutch Settlers’ time, women here said goodbye to their husbands going abroad. One of the statues standing here reminds us of Verrazano, the Florentine sailor and the discoverer of the Bay, the other of James Fenimore Cooper, the world’s famous writer of Indiana Adventure stories. This park was his favorite place.
Huge granite blocks stand in memorial of the merchant merinos that died at sea during World War II. From the promenade, we can watch the harbor traffic. Tankers and trade ships can be seen here as well as huge luxury ocean liners. Small pleasure ships and the ferries of Stanton Islands, Governor’s Island and Liberty Island depart from here. The famous Statue of Liberty as demonstrated by its name is located on the latter. We can get there by boat in 20 minutes.
The statue was made by France in public contributions and given to United States on the anniversary of the signing of the declaration of independence as the symbol of the two nation’s friendship. Originally, the sculptor, Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi, received the assignment for the huge statue named “Egypt brings light to Asia” which would have represented the colossus of Albus Symbol at the entrance of Suez Canal. But, Ismel Cediver, Egypt’s king, found the project too expensive. Then, the idea of the statue that could be presented to the states was born. Inspiration for the work was given by the main figure of a painting by Dela Coeur, “Freedom guiding the people”. The model was the sculptor’s mother.
Gustav Eiffel planned the steel base and its construction interrupted even the building of his famous tower for a while. The agreement was for the French to donate the statue and the Americans should supple the foundation which had originally been planned as en exhibition hall. Today, we can see the immigrants’ museum in it which is part of Ellis Island.
Between 1892 and 1924, 12 million people arrived to the “island of tears” as Ellis Island was called. Here, it was decided if the immigrant would receive permission for settlement. The authority was in operation until 1954. 40% of the inhabitants of United States arrived in this way to the New World. And the crowds of settlers streamed in from the most varied countries - those who for centuries now have seen the New World as the home of freedom and unlimited possibilities. France quickly collected the necessary amount but in America there was not so much disposition to give.
Joseph Pulitzer, the founder of the Pulitzer Prize and owner of the New York World newspaper, in his paper, praised enthusiastically those who contributed to the lofty aim. With this, he killed two birds with one stone gaining 50,000 new subscribers while collecting the money. The head of the statue was first exhibited on the ‘Shan de Mar” in Paris and a smaller model was introduced to the public at the world’s fair. By the time Richard Morris’ hands pedal 4:32 as ready. The statue itself has also arrived on the deck of the Frigid - in 350 pieces in 214 crates. The assembly took four months.
On October 28, 1886, it was unveiled in the presence of Grover Cleveland, who had been preciously governor of New York and had refused to allot $50,000 from the state budget for the construction. It was probably due to the excitement that each time the president started his speech, one of the two Zella’s gunners fired his canon. So, the statue was unveiled with the 21-gun salute, but without presidential speech.
At 111 feet Ms. Liberty holds the torch of freedom at the right hand. In her left hand, there is the declaration of independence. The total height of the seasoned green figure standing on its own base is 305 feet. Its weight is 225 tons and there’s an observation terrace in the crown. Very likely, this is the most famous statue in the world and there’s probably no one in the world that hasn’t seen it at least in a picture.
In 1916, Gutzon Borglum modified the original torch cutting the majority of the copper which formed the plane and installing inner lighting. There was a perfect view of the bay from the crown where 30 people could stand at the same time. Following the attack on September 11, the island was closed. The statue was re-opened in August 2004. Presently, the basement and the museum can be visited; but, the inner area of the statue has remained closed.
The predecessor of the current city, New Amsterdam, was founded by Dutch settlers on the island of Manhattan formerly inhabited by Iroquois Indians. Also the name originates from here, “Marahata” which means island of mountains and waters. The Dutch founded the West Indian Company in the middle of the 1600’s. At this time, about 300 settlers were living on the island in wooden houses and they brought slaves form Africa to do the hard work. England didn’t like this settlement among its colonies and soon, besieged it. Then, the queen presented a newly obtained possession to the Duke of York, thus, the name of the city.
At this time, some thousand of British, Dutch, French, Spanish and Portuguese settlers are living here cultivating their modest fields. The eccentric Lord Cornbury was the first English governor. The establishing of the harbor, the ship factory, and ship maintenance all started in his time. The shipping trade was accompanied by the building or warehouses and shops.
From the 1700’s this has a meant with a good nose for profit for constantly establishing business quarters. Those dealing with cotton, textiles, leather, tea, spices and products from the colonies arrived here. Those businessmen who became rich built impressive palaces in the city which already boasted 25,000 inhabitants. From this time on, the development couldn’t be stopped in spite of the war of independence and the civil war.
Turning to the right of Fulton Street, it’s only a short walk to the park closed off fro traffic where there are nicely renovated buildings form the 18th to 19th centuries. In most of them, fishermen worked and lived; but, today elegant restaurants and antique shops are to be found among their old wood walls. Even the atmosphere of luring the tourists doesn’t detract from the beauty of the old red-brick houses. The center of the New York harbor was in the docks south street seaport. The base of overseas trade which made the city seemed so big.
When sailing ships were super-seated by steam ships, the harbor was moved to the Hudson enabling the building of bigger piers. The old East side harbor began to decline. Only the Fulton fish market stayed the same. This is one of the largest markets in the world where some 5,000 tons of food stuff are sold everyday. Its main profile is a trade of variety of fish and sea creatures; but, the amount and selection of fruits and vegetables is also considerable. The fish markets surroundings used to be the red light district with bravos and sailors pubs. These buildings today are just memories but in sloppy Louis, the most famous restaurant in the fish market, the huge cooked crabs and famous French onion is super available which according to experts are even better than in Marseilles.
In the 1980’s, the whole quarter was declared a historical monument and the reconstruction of the buildings was begun. The seaport was revived similarly to the famous docks in London. The trade houses of the Shemamor Monroe Services sites of exhibitions, museum, art galleries, tourist offices, and of course, shops and restaurants.
The old ships anchored here are the main attractions; but, the inner rays and the whole atmosphere invite visitors for a walk along the board–covered piers. A hospital ship is standing at pier 15 and a ferry used to travel between Manhattan and Governor’s Island.
The Waver Tree is a tree master originating from 1825. Peking anchored at pier 16 is a fore master that sailed between Europe and South America as a member of Hamburg Trade fleet. Next to it, stands the Ambrose built in 1907 named after the channel lying at the southern entrance of the New York Harbor. The Harbor was in some spots too shallow and some too deep so that it was necessary to have a bright red light ship to aid them in entering the harbor.
Since 1968, the Sandy Hook, a veteran of World War I, has been a part of this open-air exhibition. The most famous is Pier 17 where we find the modern shopping center and the free and vital atmosphere is reminiscent of Coney Island.